Videos of Ruby Conference

Chris Morris

Um, what does this mean in English?
Assuming that the file is served from the same machine as a tracker and
the torrent file, is this a problem?

No. If there's always someone seeding, this shouldn't ever be a
problem. With certain super-seed modes, that should reduce the amount
of traffic on the server.

In some settings (bt.etree.org, for example), there is no server to
always be seeding from, so the cloud is dependent on individuals who
have already downloaded the full torrent to stay connected. If all
seeders (a seeder being anyone who has the complete torrent)
disconnect, then leechers (those who don't already have the full
content) can only download the accumulated mass. In some cases, there
can be enough leechers who combined have the complete content, but
this is not always the case.

Gavin Sinclair

I've never used BT before and don't even know what it is. But if
someone wants to save bandwidth, that's their prerogative. I'll
learn. Of course, someone else _might_ put the files up in full.

My suggestion: make the recordings available on CD for $X, money going
to RubyCentral to help cover costs of the conference (and make a
little on the side).

Not mutually exlusive, but I'd rather pay a fee to a worthy cause than
slave over a download manager.

Cheers,
Gavin

Please don't 'bittorrent-only' anything. There are those of use who
aren't involved in Bittorrent-anything.

Gavin Sinclair

Plus the two two can be muxed (is that the right word?) [...]

If you're from New Zealand :)

Gavin

And if you're from Australia, is it "meexed"? :)
(I knew a math grad student from NZ who said that 6 is pronounced
"seeks" in Australia, but "sucks" in NZ.)

He's probably right, but you should never listen to a Kiwi on Aussie
pronunciation, or vice versa. But especially the former :)

Gavin

Carl Youngblood

I think both CDs and Bittorrents should be available. Otherwise,
folks who are curious about ruby aren't going to watch them. They
won't want to pony up cash to support a cause that they don't believe
in yet.

James Britt

Chris said:
No. If there's always someone seeding, this shouldn't ever be a
problem. With certain super-seed modes, that should reduce the amount
of traffic on the server.

In some settings (bt.etree.org, for example), there is no server to
always be seeding from, so the cloud is dependent on individuals who
have already downloaded the full torrent to stay connected. If all
seeders (a seeder being anyone who has the complete torrent)
disconnect, then leechers (those who don't already have the full
content) can only download the accumulated mass. In some cases, there
can be enough leechers who combined have the complete content, but
this is not always the case.

Thanks, I think I understand now.

What I'm aiming for is to have the files, the torrent file, and a
tracker all on a public server.

If I understand correctly, this should alleviate the problem of there
being no seed, though it means that leeches all get free pass. But
that's no different than if I just allow straight downloads. At least
with BT I may get a hand in distribution, and I can (I think) throttle
the BT bandwidth.

BTW, is anyone familiar with the Internet Archives? They seem to have
mass terrabytes of stuff. If copyright is not an issue (IANAL, etc),
is offloading to the Archive an option? (I'm going to see about this ...)

Yet another thought would be to assemble a nice master DVD disc, and
sell copies from Cafe Press (or the like), with a marginal markup above
cost. Profits go to RubyCentral.

James

David Ross

Torrent is a good way yes, but I would only consider
torrenting as an alterior means for downloading
software for alternate site transfers. It just looks
unprofessional in a way if you know what I mean.
--David Ross

--- James Britt said:
What are the reasons people do not use bittorrent?

I'm thinking of torrent-only for any videos served
from ruby-doc.org, as
it seems like a good solution for controlling
bandwidth and sharing
distribution.

James

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Chris Morris

What I'm aiming for is to have the files, the torrent file, and a
tracker all on a public server.

If I understand correctly, this should alleviate the problem of there
being no seed, though it means that leeches all get free pass. But
that's no different than if I just allow straight downloads. At least
with BT I may get a hand in distribution, and I can (I think) throttle
the BT bandwidth.

There should be a way to set the server's seeding to "super-seed' or
something like that. With that setting, it forces leechers to get
pieces from other leechers (or other seeders) if its available from
someone else. Only pieces that are not available elsewhere in the
cloud can be requested from the super-seed. (I think -- I'm working
from memory). If you google round, somewhere there's a FAQ or somesuch
explaining that.

Another alternative is to have scheduled seed times from the server.
I've seen some sites plan it that way, but don't know much about it
first hand.

Martin DeMello

Carl Youngblood said:
Almost invariably for me the problem is firewalling. Opening all of
those ports is usually difficult or impossible to get your network
admin to do. At home I often have a situation where I'm roaming
around the house with a laptop on a wireless DHCP connection, so
setting up port forwarding to go to my dynamic IP is impractical.

There was something posted to slashdot a few months back about a service
that would cache and serve up large files for you.

Something like Coral [http://www.scs.cs.nyu.edu/coral/] (which would
work too, but this one was specifically for serving up large files)

martin