What I do and do not know about installing Python on Win 7 with regardto IDLE.

Anssi Saari

Dennis Lee Bieber said:
Which tells me that the TARGET field is garbaged, since THAT is what
specifies the program (and arguments) that has to be run when the
shortcut is double-clicked.

Actually, no, it's what I have too. 32-bit Windows 7 here and Python
3.2. The Target for the Idle shortcut is just Python 3.2. It's also
greyed out and uneditable.

So yes, weird. Mine works though and I rarely use Idle, so no
complaints.

John Gordon

In said:
scientific package is not working and complaining about not able to
find/load DLL ... frustrating for the first day in the python world. ANY
tip ?

Post the exact error message you're getting. Also post your code, if it's
not too long.

W. eWatson

If you didn't install an ActiveState packaged version, nor hand
installed the win32 extension package into a Python.org installed
system, you won't have PythonWin.

And has been mentioned at least three times in the last week --
pythonw.exe is the version of the Python interpreter that is supposed to
be the default application for .pyw files. It is the version that does
NOT open a console window for stdin/stdout (IOWs, it is meant for use by
Python scripts that use a graphical library for all I/O -- Tk, wxPython,
etc.). If you ran a graphical script using the plain python.exe it would
open a console window that would just sit there until the script exited.
Glad to hear you're keeping count. :) I'll pin it on my wall. Don't use
graphics.

W. eWatson

So unless Alan Meyer has further interest in this, it looks like it's at
an end.

It may be time to move on to c++.

Dennis Lee Bieber

Actually, no, it's what I have too. 32-bit Windows 7 here and Python
3.2. The Target for the Idle shortcut is just Python 3.2. It's also
greyed out and uneditable.

So yes, weird. Mine works though and I rarely use Idle, so no
complaints.

Okay -- I must have the weird version then. It was installed about
three months ago on a new Win7 laptop (I still have to activate the
pre-paid wireless card for it)

It's the only ActiveState installed Python (2.7) on which /I've/
ever seen a short cut for IDLE (in the Start/All Programs menu), and the
target appears editable and points to the .bat file.

Even if not editable, it shouldn't be difficult to create a new
shortcut (that option hasn't been removed in Win7, has it?) from scratch
filling in the proper data.

Dennis Lee Bieber

Glad to hear you're keeping count. :) I'll pin it on my wall. Don't use
graphics.

But IDLE does... IDLE is a .pyw script that opens Tk windows; it
isn't even a ".exe" packaged program as is the PythonWin editor
(pythonwin.exe will run as an application; IDLE needs to start
pythonw.exe as the application and let /it/ run the idle.pyw script)

Sibylle Koczian

Am 23.11.2011 04:45, schrieb Alan Meyer:
Bummer!

Sorry W.eWatson, my instructions may not work. I've got the ActiveState
Python on my Windows machine. It runs a .exe file as the IDLE
executable. If your implementation doesn't have an exe then you're going
to have to do some more complex work.

PythonWin hasn't got anything to do with IDLE, it's another IDE for
Python. It is part of the Python for Windows extensions:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/.

Alan Meyer

So unless Alan Meyer has further interest in this, it looks like it's at
an end.

It may be time to move on to c++.

C++ is a ton of fun. You haven't lived until you've made a syntax error
in a template instantiation and seen a hundred cascading error messages
from included files that you didn't know you included.

Unlike Python, it really builds character.

I say, go for it!

Alan

Matt Joiner

Moving to C++ is _always_ a step backwards.

C++ is a ton of fun.  You haven't lived until you've made a syntax error in
a template instantiation and seen a hundred cascading error messages from
included files that you didn't know you included.

Unlike Python, it really builds character.

I say, go for it!

   Alan

Dennis Lee Bieber

So unless Alan Meyer has further interest in this, it looks like it's at
an end.

It may be time to move on to c++.

Well, if you are staying with M$ Windows, maybe look into PowerShell
(it comes with Win7, and can be downloaded for WinXP).

Even has an IDE (strangely named: powershell_ise.exe; put
"powershell_ise" into the search box on Win7 and see what it gets you --
plain "powershell.exe" is the equivalent of cmd.exe [the common command
line window]).

The opening help page gives:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Windows PowerShell is a new Windows command-line shell designed
especially for system administrators. The Windows PowerShell includes an
interactive prompt and a scripting environment that can be used
independently or in combination.

Unlike most shells, which accept and return text, Windows PowerShell is
built on top of the .NET Framework common language runtime (CLR) and the
..NET Framework, and accepts and returns .NET Framework objects. This
fundamental change in the environment brings entirely new tools and
methods to the management and configuration of Windows.

Windows PowerShell introduces the concept of a cmdlet (pronounced
"command-let"), a simple, single-function command-line tool built into
the shell. You can use each cmdlet separately, but their power is
realized when you use these simple tools in combination to perform
complex tasks. Windows PowerShell includes more than one hundred basic
core cmdlets, and you can write your own cmdlets and share them with
other users.

Like many shells, Windows PowerShell gives you access to the file system
on the computer. In addition, Windows PowerShell providers enable you to
access other data stores, such as the registry and the digital signature
certificate stores, as easily as you access the file system.

This Getting Started guide provides an introduction to Windows
PowerShell: the language, the cmdlets, the providers, and the use of
objects.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Since it uses .NET CLR, it should even be possible to invoke the
..NET GUI library functions (or code something up in Visual Basic or
Visual C# that can be invoked from PowerShell).

The IDE can even invoke a shell on a remote computer (probably has
to have Powershell installed).

Downside? Well, it IS M$ & Windows...

Michael Torrie

Your joking, right, or do you just prefer 500 line threads wandering all
over the place?

Most of us use threaded e-mail clients or nntp clients (Gmail's
conversations are rubbish for this kind of thing) and so yes, having all
is infinitely preferred to many threads all talking about the same
thing. Each message contains a referral id that refers the message that
is being replied to. Thus the logical flow of the conversation is
preserved very well despite many posters and meandering conversation
branches.

W. eWatson

C++ is a ton of fun. You haven't lived until you've made a syntax error
in a template instantiation and seen a hundred cascading error messages
from included files that you didn't know you included.

Unlike Python, it really builds character.

I say, go for it!

Alan
So posting the results of the adventure you put me on has no further way
to proceed?

W. eWatson

Whoops, I thought I was replying to Matt Meyers just above you. However,
I think he chimed in above about ActiveState back on the 22nd.

In any case, I think this thread has ceased to be productive.

Alexander Kapps

Whoops, I thought I was replying to Matt Meyers just above you.

Above who? As said by somebody already, most people use a
mail-client (Thunderbird/Outlook) or a Usenet client to read this
forum. Google Groups is (In My Opinion at least) just crap (and
should be blocked/forbidden. It's *the* one spam sender already)
Please always post enough context,

Now, we are talking about Python 3.2.* on Win7, correct? I only have
Win7 32bit in a VBox VM, but still.

Please paste the following into a "python.reg", file, then
right-click on that file and choose the fist option (the one wihch
is in bold font, something like install/insert/insert or however
it's called in your language. In my German versin it's called
"Zusammenführen")

Do you get an "Edit with IDLE" then?

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File]
@="Python File"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\Python32\\DLLs\\py.ico"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File\shell\Edit with IDLE]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File\shell\Edit with IDLE\command]
@="\"C:\\Python32\\pythonw.exe\"
\"C:\\Python32\\Lib\\idlelib\\idle.pyw\" -e \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Python32\\python.exe\" \"%1\" %*"

Alexander Kapps

Do you get an "Edit with IDLE" then?

And even if not. Why are you so obsessive about IDLE? I mean,
seriously, IDLE is just a bare-level if-nothing-else-is-available
editor/IDE. It's better than notepad, OK.

I really don't buy it, that your are willing to move to C++ (or even
just change the language) just because the default editor is not
available in the context menu.

Steven D'Aprano

Oh, goodie! They've found yet another way to infect a Windows system. :)

My Linux system includes compilers or interpreters for C, Pascal,
Haskell, Forth, Python, Ruby, PHP, Javascript, Java, bash, csh, zsh, sh,
awk, sed, Perl, SQL, Tcl, Tk, OpenXion, and very likely others. Most of
these were supplied by the vendor. I could write my own executable code,
"cmdlets" if you will, in any of these languages, and share them with
others.

So by your reasoning, that's at least 20 ways to infect my Linux system.
I never realised just how insecure Linux must be!

If "sharing code" is considered to be synonymous with "infection", what
does that say about the Free and Open Source Software movement?

Linux-users-aren't-the-only-people-allowed-to-write-shell-scripts-ly y'rs,

Steven D'Aprano

Now, we are talking about Python 3.2.* on Win7, correct? I only have
Win7 32bit in a VBox VM, but still.

I believe that W. eWatson's problems occurred when he installed a 32-bit
version of Python 3.2 on a 64-bit version of Windows 7. Either the 32-bit
installer doesn't set the default file associations correctly on 64-bit
systems, or W. eWatson has mangled his registry by making arbitrary
changes to file associations, and now even the correct 64-bit installer
can't set the associations correctly.

As far as I can tell, nobody running the 64-bit version of Windows 7 has
chimed in to either confirm or refute W. eWatson's claim that IDLE
doesn't show up, so we have no way of telling whether it doesn't show up
due to a lack in the installer, or because eWatson has (slightly) broken
his system and has inadvertently prevented it from showing up.

Fixing the associations is a Windows issue, not a Python issue. Even if
it turns out that the installer does neglect to set up menu commands for
IDLE (which should be reported as a feature request on the bug tracker),
this is not a problem best solved here, although we can do our best. It
would be best solved on a Window forum, where experts on Windows can give
advice.