What I do and do not know about installing Python on Win 7 with regardto IDLE.

Alexander Kapps

So by your reasoning, that's at least 20 ways to infect my Linux system.
I never realised just how insecure Linux must be!

Yes, there are 20+ ways to "infect" your (and mine) Linux system.
You cannot trust *any* kind of 3rd party code. Period.

Have you ever added a 3rd party repo (PPA or such). Have you ever
added some Firefox addon or installed some 3rd-party addition (of
any kind) to some program)

Where is the protection now?

The main difference here is, that Linux makes it easy to seperate
administrative accounts from end-user accounts,

The custom addon/cmdlet/whatever I give you has the same dangers on
Linux as on windows. If you blindly install it, you're owned!
If "sharing code" is considered to be synonymous with "infection", what
does that say about the Free and Open Source Software movement?

Completely besides the topic. It's not about "sharing code", but
about the seperation between normal and administrative user on the
OS level (which Windows still doesn't have by default).
Linux-users-aren't-the-only-people-allowed-to-write-shell-scripts-ly y'rs,

But-Linux-Users-aren't-root-by-default-ly y'rs.

:)

Terry Reedy

As far as I can tell, nobody running the 64-bit version of Windows 7 has
chimed in to either confirm or refute W. eWatson's claim that IDLE
doesn't show up,

On the contrary, back when he first posted, I stated that 64-bit Python
3.2.2 on my 64-bit Windows 7 works fine, just as he wants it to.
so we have no way of telling whether it doesn't show up
due to a lack in the installer, or because eWatson has (slightly) broken
his system and has inadvertently prevented it from showing up.

I also noted that I had slightly screwed up my previous machine, and the
installers never fixed up the deviation. So I gave him a better
alternative that I use. He has ignored that and most everything else I
posted.

When he later revealed that IDLE does not run by any means, that he
should fix *that* before worrying about right-clicks.
Fixing the associations is a Windows issue, not a Python issue. Even if
it turns out that the installer does neglect to set up menu commands for
IDLE (which should be reported as a feature request on the bug tracker),

The installer for each version has been setting up commands for IDLE for
perhaps a decade or more.

Steven D'Aprano

On the contrary, back when he first posted, I stated that 64-bit Python
3.2.2 on my 64-bit Windows 7 works fine, just as he wants it to.

Ah, sorry about that Terry! This thread, or multiple threads, is long and
confusing and I obviously haven't been able to keep track of who said
what.

Dennis Lee Bieber

The main difference here is, that Linux makes it easy to seperate
administrative accounts from end-user accounts,
So does Win7... Heck -- I have to answer prompts to OK an installer
even while logged into my admin account!

Now, untrained idiots may disable all the account controls in Win7,
but that's no more than said idiots always running in a root account on
Linux.

Dennis Lee Bieber

As far as I can tell, nobody running the 64-bit version of Windows 7 has
chimed in to either confirm or refute W. eWatson's claim that IDLE
doesn't show up, so we have no way of telling whether it doesn't show up
due to a lack in the installer, or because eWatson has (slightly) broken
his system and has inadvertently prevented it from showing up.
I have both 64 and 32 bit versions of the ActiveState Python
installed on a rather new Win7 laptop.

This laptop is the ONLY machine I have that even has an IDLE
shortcut in the "start/all programs/<relevant Python entry>". Neither of
my WinXP machines have IDLE shortcuts /anywhere/ -- much less on a
right-click menu (except for the short test I did earlier when I created
an "edit with IDLE" entry using the WinXP file-types modification
capability -- which doesn't seem to exist in Win7).

Oh, and the shortcuts DO work on that machine. Python 2.7 (my XP
machines still have Python 2.5 variants)

My following comments will be rather blunt, but from what I've seen
(over a few years now), Monsieur Watson is completely uninterested in
learning any features of the operating system in which he is working...
If /anything/ doesn't work as he expects, it is a fault to be fixed,
unpaid, by someone on a public forum, and fixed in a form that requires
minimal effort on his part. Any IT support tech could create the needed
shortcuts and menu entries in under 10 minutes -- but that would require
confessing that one may be incompetent WRT the basic features of the OS
they are using.

In contrast, I've been tweaking the registry since Win95 days -- I
don't understand those nasty "GUID" entries, but finding blatant
left-over garbage from uninstalled software tends to be easy (sometimes
I've even done the work to trace GUID referenced by the left-overs)

How any prior installation had an "edit with IDLE" context menu is
beyond me -- I've never seen one before that wasn't created by hand. Of
course, all my Windows systems have used the ActiveState packaging;
maybe python.org installers do things differently.

Dennis Lee Bieber

My Linux system includes compilers or interpreters for C, Pascal,
Haskell, Forth, Python, Ruby, PHP, Javascript, Java, bash, csh, zsh, sh,
awk, sed, Perl, SQL, Tcl, Tk, OpenXion, and very likely others. Most of

What? No REXX? <G>

{Granted, other than IBM's mainframes, the only decent REXX
implementation [heck, maybe even better] was the Amiga version -- it was
integrated well into the Amiga message passing IPC system, such that
pretty much any application with an ARexx port could connect to and
control any other application with an ARexx port}

Chris Angelico

My Linux system includes compilers or interpreters for C, Pascal,
Haskell, Forth, Python, Ruby, PHP, Javascript, Java, bash, csh, zsh, sh,
awk, sed, Perl, SQL, Tcl, Tk, OpenXion, and very likely others. Most of

       What? No REXX? <G>

       {Granted, other than IBM's mainframes, the only decent REXX
implementation [heck, maybe even better] was the Amiga version -- it was
integrated well into the Amiga message passing IPC system, such that
pretty much any application with an ARexx port could connect to and
control any other application with an ARexx port}

IBM's non-mainframes too - their OS/2 implementation was - and still
is - awesome. I use REXX for a variety of odds and ends, everything
from simple scripts up to full-on GUI applications. Yes, we still use
OS/2 (as well as Windows and Linux - mixed LANs are fun).

ChrisA

MaxTheMouse

I guess I will put in my 2 cents. I installed EPD from Enthought on 64
bit Win 7 Enterprise. Both 32 bit and 64 versions resulted in having
"Edit with Idle" when I right-click on a file. I don't have system
administration privileges on this machine so I have no idea how the
installer did it.

Cheers,
Adam

Sibylle Koczian

Am 25.11.2011 01:16, schrieb Steven D'Aprano:
As far as I can tell, nobody running the 64-bit version of Windows 7 has
chimed in to either confirm or refute W. eWatson's claim that IDLE
doesn't show up, so we have no way of telling whether it doesn't show up
due to a lack in the installer, or because eWatson has (slightly) broken
his system and has inadvertently prevented it from showing up.
I'm using Python 3.2.2 on Windows 7, 64 bit, and I get "Edit with IDLE"
and "Edit with PythonWin" in my context menu. I installed Python from
the Python.org site, the Windows extensions from Sourceforge, both of
them for all users and without any changes to the standard installation
or to file associations.

This isn't the first Python 3 version on this machine, I don't know if
that might be relevant.

But it's a fact that changing the applications shown in the context menu
for a file association isn't obvious any more on Windows 7.

HTH
Sibylle

Alexander Kapps

So does Win7... Heck -- I have to answer prompts to OK an installer
even while logged into my admin account!

For Windows, Left-Clicking an OK button to confirm potentionally
dangerous admin tasks is like linking the acceleration pedal in your
car to the brake pedal(If the traffic light shows Red/Stop, push the
acceleration pedal to break)

I mean, seriously, left-clicking an OK button is something *SO*
unusual to Windows users that you could also just remove that
"barrier" altogether.

</sarcasm>

Now, OK, I don't really know any Windows version after XP, so
things might have changed. But what I see from the casual Win users
in my environment is that nothing has really changed.

Mark Tolonen

Am 25.11.2011 01:16, schrieb Steven D'Aprano:

I'm using Python 3.2.2 on Windows 7, 64 bit, and I get "Edit with IDLE"
and "Edit with PythonWin" in my context menu. I installed Python from
the Python.org site, the Windows extensions from Sourceforge, both of
them for all users and without any changes to the standard installation
or to file associations.

This isn't the first Python 3 version on this machine, I don't know if
that might be relevant.

But it's a fact that changing the applications shown in the context menu
for a file association isn't obvious any more on Windows 7.

HTH
Sibylle

I'm also using Python 2.7 and Python 3.3 on Windows 7, 64-bit, and
have both "Edit" menu items as well.

Changing the application defaults is now in "Default Programs" right
on the Start Menu. It's more "obvious" than the old location, but the
old location is just known by more people and Microsoft loves to move
things around.

-Mark

Dennis Lee Bieber

Changing the application defaults is now in "Default Programs" right
on the Start Menu. It's more "obvious" than the old location, but the
old location is just known by more people and Microsoft loves to move
things around.
Maybe I missed it, but when I looked at that on my Win7 laptop, I
only saw a way to define a default for "open" action -- which, for .py
and .pyw files, should be python.exe and pythonw.exe, respectively;
otherwise you can't run them via double-click.

What I did NOT find was a way to define OTHER actions for the
<right-click> menu... IE; no way to define an "edit with xxx", or a
"print" operation.

MaxTheMouse

        Maybe I missed it, but when I looked at that on my Win7 laptop, I
only saw a way to define a default for "open" action -- which, for .py
and .pyw files, should be python.exe and pythonw.exe, respectively;
otherwise you can't run them via double-click.

        What I did NOT find was a way to define OTHER actions forthe
<right-click> menu... IE; no way to define an "edit with xxx", or a
"print" operation.

I haven't gone back through this complicated thread so I apologize if
this has already been mentioned.

I only found a registry based way for vista and win7.
http://www.techspot.com/guides/210-edit-windows-extended-context-menu/
http://www.winvistaclub.com/e11.html

There is also the 'extended' menu by shift+right-click. Maybe the Edit
option can show up there.

Adam