hosting multiple sites on IIS single NIC PC connected to internet

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Guest, Nov 9, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Sorry, the question is related but might not directly linked to ASP.NEt

    I have a Windows 2003 server machine that is connected to Internet and has
    single static IP address (say 90.90.90.90). I have a DNS (say www.mysite.com)
    that is attached to this static IP Address.

    I want to host another site to my PC (say www.newsite.com).

    I am confused on how I can setup second site so that it can be accessed from
    Internet.

    Will following work:
    1. I register DNS www.newsite.com for my static IP address(90.90.90.90).
    2. In IIS 6, use Host Header names add create new website with Host name
    www.newsite.com

    Will I need to setup DNS on local network to make this work???

    Please help!!!

    Guest, Nov 9, 2005

    Bruce Barker Guest

    yes, you just need both dns entries pointing to the same ip. in http 1.1,
    the browser sends a host header so the the webserver can tell sites apart.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    Bruce Barker, Nov 9, 2005

    Guest Guest

    Is there a way to associate multiple IP addresses to one adapter? Sort of
    like what VMware does with the virutal adapters? Each virtual adapter
    obtains it's own IP address./

    Guest, Nov 9, 2005