IE cannot open the Internet site ... Operation aborted

Mika

Other than Web Developer Toolbar, Firebug, and some adblock extensions
(in rather common usage), there is nothing unusual about my Firefox.

I imagine that may be partly the cause - the adblock extensions. They will
prevent the AdWords display for example, causing you to see icons with
nothing under them.

Not sure how they could prevent the rest working though. Are you sure the
streetscape still won't display?:
http://tinyurl.com/35mwxr
You are much closer to your server, perhaps.

So sites should be made smaller in case there are server delays from the UK
> USA? Surely your 10Mb/s line should download UK websites at 10Mb/s - end
of story.
No, it isn't. It is whatever my (and your) browser's default background
color is. You haven't assigned one to body {} in your CSS.
http://k75s.home.att.net/show/george.jpg

If you choose to set your browser background to "ugly purple" that is your
choice of course. Seems strange to complain to us though :p
I see you have removed the hundreds of useless keywords from your
<title> elements. At least we got that fixed...

Yes, we are taking on board the valid comments made, thanks.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Opera is not supported due to low user % and as they do not allow
wide enough page lengths to permit our scrolling supercell.

What? Opera isn't wide enough? <snorkle!> My Opera browser window is
as wide or as narrow as I choose to make it, up to the maximum
resolution of my monitors. In this group, we prefer to support "all
browsers."

Opera and Safari, by the way, are the only common browsers that pass the
Acid2 Test.
http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid2
This is stated in the FAQ, which I'm sure you read ;)

No, I didn't. You presented a URL for comments. I looked at that one and
your main page.

Oh, and you said "meant for UK users", yet you have a San Francisco
street...

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

If you choose to set your browser background to "ugly purple" that is
your choice of course. Seems strange to complain to us though :p

The point is when you set colors, you also need to set background
colors. You cannot rely on all users to have the same browser defaults
as you.

Remember, the "Netscape" you claim to support used to have a default
background color of medium grey.

Run your css through the validator.
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator.html

SpaceGirl

We have done some of the suggested work today. Please can you try again and
advise if the street now loads?:

http://tinyurl.com/35mwxr

I can't think why you would get an unresponsive script error. Are you in
the UK? If so you are as close to our server as we are.

Seemed okay on my test machine here today (FireFox 2 & IE7, Windows
XP). But I wonder about your site. You're using a lot of copyrighted
and trademarked content... have ALL those shops agreed to let you use
their "likeness"? I'm sure Nine West wont like having a picture of
their shop with scaffold outside it, for example. Be careful with
this...

SpaceGirl

What? Opera isn't wide enough? <snorkle!> My Opera browser window is
as wide or as narrow as I choose to make it, up to the maximum
resolution of my monitors. In this group, we prefer to support "all
browsers."

Opera and Safari, by the way, are the only common browsers that pass the
Acid2 Test.http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid2

No, I didn't. You presented a URL for comments. I looked at that one and
your main page.

Oh, and you said "meant for UK users", yet you have a San Francisco
street...

More likely he's using totally the wrong technology. If, for example,
you used AJAX to inject the shop images and links into a a DIV, while
dropping off the ones that have slid out of view... page width would
NEVER be an issue. It's a poorly thought out site I think.

SpaceGirl

Hello, we understand you guys may be able to help.

We have a page which has been working great for over a year and gets many
hits. However recently something got changed that we cannot seem to find,
and now *sometimes* if you refresh the page (generally while it is still

Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site...
Operation aborted

Here is an example of the page in question:http://tinyurl.com/35mwxr[broadband recommended]

We appreciate you may have other comments on the site such as the size of
the pages, however we are not looking to change that at present, with faster
broadband becoming more abundant. Search engine listings alert the user
that broadband is recommended for this technology.

As we said, the site worked great, but for this unknown reason now needs
some sort of a tweak to fix. The changes we made before it happened were
related to the body tag but they have been completely undone yet the issue
remains :-S

Thanks in advance to anyone able to find the cure for us to test.

Regards,
Mika @ SHS.com

I'd seriously consider re-engineering your site. You could could do
this FAR more efficiently using AJAX, and also remove most of the
browser issues you're seeing.It'll require much less of a heavy
workload on the browser, so you'll find it faster and smaller. Also
you wont be loading in images (shops) that aren't actually visible on
the screen until they scroll into view, so you'll probably save a
stack of traffic.

Again, alternative, do it in Flash.

I'd really go back to the drawingboard on this one - I don't think you
have a bad idea, but it's very poorly executed. Even if you fix the
issues you're having now, you'll just hit more down the line (or see
poor traffic due to errors that users will never bother to report -
they will just go elsewhere).

Mika

Seemed okay on my test machine here today (FireFox 2 & IE7, Windows
XP). But I wonder about your site. You're using a lot of copyrighted
and trademarked content... have ALL those shops agreed to let you use
their "likeness"? I'm sure Nine West wont like having a picture of
their shop with scaffold outside it, for example. Be careful with
this...

We took all the photos ourselves.

All the shops get free advertising and publicity! It really isn't a cause
for complaint.

Most of them are willingly signed up affiliates.

Thanks for the concern though!

Mika

I'd seriously consider re-engineering your site.

That's a lot of work for one bug.
You could could do
this FAR more efficiently using AJAX, and also remove most of the
browser issues you're seeing.It'll require much less of a heavy
workload on the browser, so you'll find it faster and smaller. Also
you wont be loading in images (shops) that aren't actually visible on
the screen until they scroll into view, so you'll probably save a
stack of traffic.

We aren't! Our j/s code is so seamless you don't realise, but the only
shops that are loaded are the ones that are on screen! Try scrolling fast
and you can catch them loading and unloading on demand.
Again, alternative, do it in Flash.

I'd really go back to the drawingboard on this one - I don't think you
have a bad idea, but it's very poorly executed. Even if you fix the
issues you're having now, you'll just hit more down the line (or see
poor traffic due to errors that users will never bother to report -
they will just go elsewhere).

Our stats say otherwise.

Thanks for confirming that the site works for you. I do still wonder those
other 2 people's Firefox don't work if yours and every other Firefox we can
find does. Also other people in this thread did not report the issue either
when testing.

Not saying they're wrong, just saying it would be great if someone actually
knew the specific reason, i.e. "this code on this line should read this".

Saying "rewrite the entire site" for 2 users is not ideal I hope you
understand.

Jonathan N. Little

Mika said:
We are flattered you talk about this like it is a big business. It is just
a hobby done in spare time! We think we have done quite well considering
that being beginners, and that we have incurred little or no startup
expenses. The site is accessed by thousands of repeat visitors monthly.

Don't flatter yourself too much, I was referring to your mindset to your
project. The product of your industry is self-revealing.
6MB is not a load time. This site is clearly labelled as being for the
broadband generation. It says 'broadband recommended' on every page, and in
search engine listings, and the FAQ. 84% of the UK is now on broadband and
this is a UK oriented site. 6MB is about 2 seconds. Clearly that is not
really an issue to keep criticising the site for. As speeds increase this
will only become even less of an issue.

This thread was about a Google/MS issue, but we appreciate any
'constructive' polite comments.

Unlike that.

Denying real fundamental flaws in application and design does not make
those flaws go away.

Mika

Denying real fundamental flaws in application and design does not make
those flaws go away.

One day you might take on board the point that it is the *way* you give
advice that determines whether someone finds it helpful and therefore wishes
to take it, or finds you rude and so ignores you or reacts badly, thus
defeating the object of your advice.

The advice may be taken either way ultimately with a clear mind, but you
would not receive the thanks or kudos for providing it by insulting in the
process.

It just seems a strange way to act, but that is your prerogative.

Mika

Jonathan N. Little

SpaceGirl said:
More likely he's using totally the wrong technology. If, for example,
you used AJAX to inject the shop images and links into a a DIV, while
dropping off the ones that have slid out of view... page width would
NEVER be an issue. It's a poorly thought out site I think.

Been told that more than a year ago. Also your proficient in flash, a
similar progressive loading of sections could be done in flash, right?

Mika

We have now CSS W3C Validated the site successfully and been given the W3C
logo.

Yet for some reason still we are seeing extra big lines on certain elements
that are breaking up our top border and the streetscape table, only in
Firefox.

http://tinyurl.com/35mwxr

Any constructive advice welcomed.

Mika

Mika said:
We have now CSS W3C Validated the site successfully and been given the W3C
logo.

Yet for some reason still we are seeing extra big lines on certain
elements that are breaking up our top border and the streetscape table,
only in Firefox.

http://tinyurl.com/35mwxr

Any constructive advice welcomed.

Little update:

If we use this we get the additional spaces spoiling the formatting:

But if we use Transitional we don't. We want to use strict, and the page
validates without error, so what is causing the spacing?

Mika

Mika said:
Little update:

If we use this we get the additional spaces spoiling the formatting:

But if we use Transitional we don't. We want to use strict, and the page
validates without error, so what is causing the spacing?

PS: It seems related only to Tables.

Blinky the Shark

Bone said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 22 Nov 2007 23:18:04
GMT Mika scribed:

Hey, these are the _nice_ guys! You should run into the hardcore cases
like Jukka and rf... Even ol' dorayme can spit some venom when rattled
agitatively. And Blinky The Shark - whoaaaaaa! There's a mouthful to
watch out for. You've been lucky, my man, so count your blessings.

Speaking of mouthsful...

http://blinkynet.net/sharks/stinkydent.html

Blinky the Shark

Mika said:
Apologies, it had been a long day and we thought you were referring to the
keywords tag.

Thanks for the advice - we will amend the title.

No, we're too scared to now. Actually we weren't referring to you
specifically, just the general comments from others which are frankly rude
and we all know that they would not talk that way if not hiding behind a
screen.

I do not know that. Your assumption of "all" is incorrect.

Blinky the Shark

Mika said:
We took all the photos ourselves.

All the shops get free advertising and publicity! It really isn't a cause
for complaint.

Most of them are willingly signed up affiliates.

"Cause for complaint" will be decided by the shops which are, as you
admit, *not* willingly signed up affiliates, if and when they become
aware of your actions. "It's right" does not equal "It hasn't been
discovered".

Mika

At least read

http://tinyurl.com/24n2pd

in case you are not aware of defaults that browsers bring to bear.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Using the Strict Doctype someone in this group suggested caused
this issue with erratic margins in different browsers, and cost us a day's
work trying to make it fit. Reverting to our choice of Transitional has
solved the problem and the site validates fine now.

Thanks again.

dorayme

"Mika said:
Thanks. Using the Strict Doctype someone in this group suggested caused
this issue with erratic margins in different browsers, and cost us a day's
work trying to make it fit. Reverting to our choice of Transitional has
solved the problem and the site validates fine now.

My instinct on this - but I have purist interests which might not
be always so practical - is that if you are having trouble with
Strict, there is something else wrong with your markup and css
that is best flushed out and dealt with.

You did read the thread and particularly my post I recommended?

I am very scared of any sites about shopping (I personally hate
shopping) so pardon me for not examining your site closely. But I
can say to you not to worry about small variations in looks
between browsers. If you want more consistent looks across
browsers, you need to attend closely to your margins and paddings
and override default browser settings that fill in where authors
say nothing. Some people go to the extreme of

* {margin: 0; padding: 0;}

which zeroes all element paddings and margins in one fell swoop.

At least know this and use Strict and experiment with different
browsers - when you have time - using this zeroeing to flush out
what might be happening. It is a powerful weapon. And free, no
need to go through any flashy shop door to purchase <g>