Need to change IE 'cannot display' message, can it be done?

youtake

Hello, I am building a Intra-net and my requirement need is to disable
or even create a custom page for the default Windows message,
"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". Can someone please
show me some programmatic way or method to achieve this? :)

Thank you a zillion!

------
Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:
Check your Internet connection. Try visiting another website to
make sure you are connected.

Retype the address.

More information

This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:

Internet connectivity has been lost.
The website is temporarily unavailable.
The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's
domain.
If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click tools, click Internet
Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS
protocols are enabled under the security section.

For offline users

You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
To view subscribed feeds

Click the Favorites Center button , click Feeds, and then click the
feed you want to view.

To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages)

Click Tools , and then click Work Offline.
Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the
page you want to view.

mbstevens

Hello, I am building a Intra-net and my requirement need is to disable
or even create a custom page for the default Windows message,
"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". Can someone please
show me some programmatic way or method to achieve this? :)

From the things you said after this, it sounds as if you may not have a
server running to serve the pages on your intranet. If you had, say,
Apache running you could serve custom error pages using the .htaccess
file with lines kind of like this:

ErrorDocument 400 /error_docs/er400.html
ErrorDocument 401 /error_docs/er401.html
ErrorDocument 403 /error_docs/er403.html
ErrorDocument 404 /error_docs/er404.html

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (e-mail address removed) writing in
Hello, I am building a Intra-net and my requirement need is to disable
or even create a custom page for the default Windows message,
"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". Can someone please
show me some programmatic way or method to achieve this? :)

Thank you a zillion!

You can use a custom error page. Do that in the IIS snapin:
Right click on the site, and go to the custom errors tab. Then find the
error number and edit as needed.

Dan

Hello, I am building a Intra-net and my requirement need is to disable
or even create a custom page for the default Windows message,
"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". Can someone please
show me some programmatic way or method to achieve this? :)

Stop using Internet Explorer and use a decent browser instead, such as
Mozilla Firefox or SeaMonkey. These won't give you error pages saying
"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". Problem solved!

Joel Shepherd

Dan said:
Stop using Internet Explorer and use a decent browser instead, such as
Mozilla Firefox or SeaMonkey.

Without getting into whether IE is a decent browser or not, it is easy
to configure it to not show "friendly" error pages, and instead dump raw
and -- to http hippies -- pretty straightforward error data. An entirely
new browser is not required.

In any event, as others have mentioned, the real solution is
server-side, not browser politics.

youtake

Thank you all, but in this case, I believe the messages displayed to
users in my OP is generated from the browser client, not pipelined
from a server. :)

rwap

Thank you all, but in this case, I believe the messages displayed to
users in my OP is generated from the browser client, not pipelined
from a server. :)

I think you misunderstand here.

A browser will try to connect a user to the chosen webpage. If it
cannot find the server, then it generates one message.

If however, it finds the server, but not the specified page, then it
will look for a custom page on the server (for example 404.html) - and
then if that is not found, will display its standard error page.
mbstevens gives you an example above on how to create custom error
pages on the server side.

IE can however override these with "friendly error messages" - you can
apparently avoid this by ensuing that any custom error pages are more
than 512 bytes.

However, if you want to cover the position where the server itself
cannot be found or the internet connection is missing, I believe you
can do this through the custom browser tools provided in the Internet
Explorer Administration Kit - see
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/ie/ieak7/default.mspx#EDE

Not tried this myself, but worth a go

Rich Mellor