How to improve this page.

rblah

Good grief. Do you really think that most English speakers are going to
bother reading the dictionary when they read your website?

This is NOT colloquial English - neither in the UK, the US nor in
Australia.

Chris

Luigi Donatello Asero

Nico Schuyt said:
Of course :)
However, the result will be the same: an attractive site in conformity of
technical standards. Only thing is it takes a lot more time with a stubborn
man :0
Cheers, Nico

Well, I have seen sites which do not even validate as HTML...
and you suggested that I wrote it in good HTML and CSS did you?
Or did you already make up your mind and think now that my site has got
worse than it used to be last year?
And how long did it take for you to learn all you have learnt about the web
design?

--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)

http://www.italymap.dk
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/elba.html

Luigi Donatello Asero

Nico Schuyt said:
Main menu about 6-8 items; When clicked: sub menus of max 6 items each
In that case the "Kontakta" is immediately noticed.
The http://www.accessibility.nl/amenu3/ is maybe interesting

Kontakta, Contact, it's in every language about the same (Swahili might be
an exception)

I am thinking of the whole page and the whole site ( see also below)
They only have to know one. The rest is translation I suppose
Nico

No, it is not a translation although a part of the contents is similar.
However, most pages are at the moment in Swedish.
As a matter of fact I think it is very important that the person who makes
the design knows all of the languages.

--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)

http://www.italymap.dk
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/elba.html

Nico Schuyt

Luigi said:
"Nico Schuyt"
Well, I have seen sites which do not even validate as HTML...
Like Whitecrest mentioned, technique is not the only thing that's important.
In a commercial site design is at least as important as validation. Probaby
even more.
and you suggested that I wrote it in good HTML and CSS did you?

I did :) Not perfect though: http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/test/spa_ie4.jpg for
example.
Better: Use a list for the menu.
Or did you already make up your mind and think now that my site has
got worse than it used to be last year?

No. I'm only suggesting it could have been done more efficiently
And how long did it take for you to learn all you have learnt about
the web design?

2.5 years. Still have a lot to learn I'm affraid
Nico

Nico Schuyt

Luigi said:
"Nico Schuyt" skrev
You share my opinion then, don´t you?

Of course not. If the bloody "scaiecat-spa-gigi" is already in the URL and
in the title, you should pay attention to the other (more
important)keywords. Again, the URL is enough IMO.
Nico

Luigi Donatello Asero

Nico Schuyt said:
Like Whitecrest mentioned, technique is not the only thing that's important.
In a commercial site design is at least as important as validation. Probaby
even more.

I would say probably less. If a site is not accessible it does not play any
role how it looks like!
If it is accessible it is suitable to begin thinking about how it could look
better. Otherwise Multimedia or similar might be much better
Otherwise the sites which are made by
I did :) Not perfect though: http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/test/spa_ie4.jpg for
example.
Better: Use a list for the menu.

Ok. I think you had suggested a link to a site a few days ago about how to
make lists for the menu in CSS.
Can you write the URL again, please so that I can learn more?
No. I'm only suggesting it could have been done more efficiently

Step by step I can improve it. The website needs be updated continuously so
it is very practical that I can do it myself.
2.5 years. Still have a lot to learn I'm affraid

30 months? Did you learn other things in the meanwhile? ( I do)
Everyone has to learn all life long I think and not only concerning web
design.

--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)

http://www.italymap.dk
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/elba.html

Nico Schuyt

Luigi said:
"Nico Schuyt"
I would say probably less. If a site is not accessible it does not
play any role how it looks like!

Whitecrest has another opinion. Commercially he's often right.
Accessible and unattractive is commercially worse than a Floash site
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/taminglists/
Step by step I can improve it. The website needs be updated
continuously so it is very practical that I can do it myself.
30 months?

21 actually. Just checked: I started februari 2002 (seems *much* longer)
Did you learn other things in the meanwhile? ( I do)

So do I. PHP-programming and MySQL for example. That's why I can make a
living of it and are able (and take the time) to help some newbies :0
Everyone has to learn all life long I think and not only concerning
web design.

Agreed. As long as you have time for that. I have a garden of 1600 m2. Grow
my own vegetables. Make long trips with a sea kayak. Make digital
photographs. Train my dog. Rebuilt my house last year ........
Nico

Luigi Donatello Asero

Nico Schuyt said:
Whitecrest has another opinion. Commercially he's often right.
Accessible and unattractive is commercially worse than a Floash site

He has probably the opinion which you describe.
But as a whole I am under the impression that many people writing in this NG
find accessibility more important than unattractiveness.

Thank you.
21 actually. Just checked: I started februari 2002 (seems *much* longer)
So, you meant that you did not know anything about webdesign in january
2002.
If so, actually, I began learning about it before you did.

Agreed. As long as you have time for that. I have a garden of 1600 m2. Grow
my own vegetables. Make long trips with a sea kayak. Make digital
photographs. Train my dog. Rebuilt my house last year ........
Nico

Where do you live?

--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)

http://www.italymap.dk
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/elba.html

Nico Schuyt

Luigi said:
"Nico Schuyt" skrev
So, you meant that you did not know anything about webdesign in
january 2002.
If so, actually, I began learning about it before you did.

Well, end of 2001 I made a site with Trellix. I tool that requires
absolutely no knowledge of HTML. Februari I tried to clean the coding. Later
on I rebuilt it a few more times (first tables, later CSS)
Where do you live?

Holland. We're almost neighbours :)

Nico

JustAnotherGuy

Luigi said:
It is probably a technical word.

Intermediation is a mouthful!! Even for those who know the word inside
out. Use 'agent'. Or something else synonymous to 'proxy'.

Luigi Donatello Asero

JustAnotherGuy said:
Intermediation is a mouthful!! Even for those who know the word inside
out. Use 'agent'. Or something else synonymous to 'proxy'.

The word agent does not convey the same meaning because it usually implies
that a person acts on behalf either of the tenant or the landlord/landlady
not of both at the same time and can sign up a contract for them.
I like the word "intermediation" because it is more neutral

--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)

http://www.italymap.dk
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/elba.html

JustAnotherGuy

Luigi said:
The word agent does not convey the same meaning because it usually implies
that a person acts on behalf either of the tenant or the landlord/landlady
not of both at the same time and can sign up a contract for them.
I like the word "intermediation" because it is more neutral

http://thesaurus.reference.com/search?q=intermediary

Negotiator? Mediator?

Anyway, it's your choice, of course. But what's the point if the average
person can't understand what you're saying?

Eric Bohlman

If you are stubborn you are usually more ready to overcome difficulties.
It has helped me to learn a lot of languages for example.

We may have a language gap here; I think the word you're actually looking
for is *determined* rather than *stubborn*. There's a subtle but important
distinction between the two terms: being *determined* implies sticking to
an *end* as in "if at first you don't succeed, try again" whereas being
*stubborn* implies sticking to a chosen *means* as in the popular
definition of insanity: "doing the same thing over and over again and
expecting to get different results."

"Stubborn" implies being "set in one's ways" even to the detriment of
getting the job done: "I've always used a screwdriver handle to pound nails
and I'm not about to use one of those newfangled hammers." Being
*determined* to join two pieces of wood together would entail a willingness
to consider any workable means of joining them, even if it didn't involve
nails at all.

In technical groups, the distinction usually becomes apparent when someone
presents an "XY problem"; they want to achieve goal X, have somehow
convinced themselves that implementation Y is the right way to do it, have
trouble accomplishing Y, and get all hot and bothered when people tell them
that Z, rather than Y, is the right way to achieve X (which they often
haven't explicitly described). For example, X may be "I don't want people
to accidentally make duplicate entries in my database" while Y is "how do I
disable the browser's back button?" and Z is "generate a unique ID for each
form and check that it hasn't already been submitted."

Eric Bohlman

But as a whole I am under the impression that many people writing in
this NG find accessibility more important than unattractiveness.

Well it is in a certain sense. As an analogy, most of the regulars in a
programming group would say that it's more important that a program gives
correct results than that it runs quickly. That's not to say that fast
execution isn't important, only that it doesn't make any sense to pay
attention to execution speed until you've got something that actually
works. "Make it right before you make it faster."

In Web design, the idea is that if you've got a solid foundation and
structure, you've got a lot of freedom to decorate it as you please, but if
the foundation has cracks and the structure is made out of balsa wood,
there's no point in "optimizing" the facade because the thing is going to
fall down pretty quickly.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Eric Bohlman said:
Well it is in a certain sense. As an analogy, most of the regulars in a
programming group would say that it's more important that a program gives
correct results than that it runs quickly. That's not to say that fast
execution isn't important, only that it doesn't make any sense to pay
attention to execution speed until you've got something that actually
works. "Make it right before you make it faster."

In Web design, the idea is that if you've got a solid foundation and
structure, you've got a lot of freedom to decorate it as you please, but if
the foundation has cracks and the structure is made out of balsa wood,
there's no point in "optimizing" the facade because the thing is going to
fall down pretty quickly.

I share your opinion.